I have been using DigitalOcean for nearly 6 months now to host my websites and online services. They are a premium Virtual Private Hosting provider that offers many types of configurations in many geographic regions. In 55 seconds, you can have a VPS created and up and running with you ready to login and start hosting. DigitalOcean has many features to offer and they are always expanding on their features:
- Charges per hour, not per month. You only pay for what you use, and their prices are very low for a premium service
- Many different OSes and plans to choose from:
- Many “one-click apps” that are pre-built solutions:
- Too many to list!
- 11 Geographic locations
- Private Networking – Allows networking between your servers
- Backups – This is a feature that costs 20% of your monthly charge that allows them to automatically backup your server.
- IPv6 – free of charge, you can also get IPv6 addresses assigned to your server
- API Interface – You can spin up images, create Droplets, etc
- VPS re-sizing – Recently I have had a huge jump in visits to some of my sites. My VPS was no longer able to handle them all. I went to re-size my server and in about 5 minutes, I had a server double the capacity with just a couple clicks of a button. The beauty is, I can always go back down if I no longer need the extra capacity.
- Floating IP addresses – This is a brand new feature where you can make the IP addresses point to different servers if your server experiences downtime, or any other reason you can think of!
There are so many features and functionality that there is too many to list. One cool feature that I use a lot is they allow you to create images of your VPS that you can later create a new VPS from. For example, I created an image that ran BOINC. I made it where once I created the VPS from the image, it would automatically join my account manager, and start downloading work.
Since I have been using DigitalOcean, I have not run into any issues yet, have not had any down time on their side (minus one scheduled maintenance), or found any time that my server slowed down. I have never had to open a single ticket regarding support or service issues.
I would suggest giving them a try, especially considering you get $10 for free to try it out! Keep in mind that all of this is my honest opinion, and DigitalOcean did not pay me to write this!